October 17, 2012
Last night I was out knocking on doors and spent some time speaking with a Lander police officer about my candidacy. He asked the question, “How are you with the NRA?” My response was, “Not so good.” I then told him that I am a supporter of the Second Amendment and fine with all of Wyoming’s current gun laws. The following is a piece that I wrote a few months ago after learning the results from the NRA survey that I filled out.
F’ed by the NRA
I filled out my NRA survey about a week and a half ago. It was painfully long, with misleading answers and bogus conclusions. Today I learned the results. I’ve been hunting since I was 14 years old. I own many guns and I have raised my kids as hunters. I got a “F” rating from the NRA.
Here is a rundown on where I think I must have gone astray of the NRA:
- I believe high capacity magazines should be regulated. The shooter in the Aurora massacre used a weapon with a 100 round drum magazine. These are not necessary for hunting or self-protection. When I duck hunt I’m required to plug my gun so I only have three shots. It is ironic that the NRA believes that a movie theater murderer should have a hundred shots.
- I believe there are places where guns should not be allowed. Our schools and school grounds should be off-limits to guns. Period.
- I believe private property owners have rights. Property owners should be able to determine if they want someone carrying or storing a weapon on their property.
- I believe some appropriate gun controls may decrease crime.
- I believe that “stand your ground” laws are inappropriate in a civil society.
I am a law abiding gun owner and one of the most avid hunters that I know, afield 40-50 days each fall. I used to belong to the NRA. They lost my support when they started referring to federal law enforcement personnel as “jack booted thugs” in the 90s.
I will not pander to any person or organization. I am firm in my beliefs and will not change them to get a “good grade”. My opponent has been endorsed by the NRA. What did he say that he believed?
Here is a PDF of my “F” questionnaire. NRA Survey